Sunday, November 16, 2008

November Bloom Day

Well, there are still plenty of cheerful colors in the garden, like this lantana that's trying to turn into a giant bush that devours everything in its path. Actually, come to think of it, this lantana needs a new location, and it might be entertaining to pit it against a purple potato vine. Botanical Death Match!


















Definitely losing this year's sad Lawn vs. Summer Death Match is my back lawn. But this picture is actually supposed to be of the salvias, verbenas, and roses putting on a grand fall show.























The show this month is definitely the roses, so without delay, here's Louis Philippe, in one of the only decent pictures I've managed to take of him. My camera is really bad with reds and pinks, but this is a more accurate representation of the color than I've managed to capture so far.























I'm also frustrated in my attempts to take a decent picture of Duchesse de Brabant in full bloom. This captures the effect, although blurry.  I'm kind of liking the blurred effect.























Duchesse de Brabant, close-up:


















Souvenir de la Malmaison. I'm thinking of relocating this one...for the third time. It's too far back in the border to smell easily (I am slowly learning my lesson there), and in some lights, the very light pink looks dirty next to the more saturated Belinda's Dream and Knockout Rose.
























Republic of Texas blooms in the catmint. I love how these colors work together.
























Blush Noisette. It's been growing fast since I got it, and has been covered almost constantly in these little blooms. And the scent is both strong and fabulous. I'm counting on this one to perfume the backyard in a year or so.  It's going to get a sunny spot to stretch its legs.
























Archduke Charles, finally blooming now that I've both watered it and unearthed it from a thicket of wild sunflowers:























Just opened, Archduke Charles.  I'm surprised that more people don't grow this rose.  The flowers have a great fruity fragrance, the bush is extremely full and healthy (I neglected it all summer and it still looks great), and the color-changing flowers are kind of fun.  Out of all the Chinas I've grown, this one is my favorite.




Other roses blooming right now:
Thomas Affleck
assorted Knockouts
Zephirine Drouhin, with the third bloom I've gotten in two years
Perle d'Or
Marie Pavie
Maggie
Belinda's Dream
Mutabilis

Just finished blooming:
Gruss an Aachen
Martha Gonzales






This Bloom Day finally had cool weather, and lately I've been outside working on projects every chance I've gotten. I have big plans, so I suspect that this will remain the case until spring. I can't wait to see what everything looks like next November Bloom Day!

P.S.  Other Death Match candidates?  Horseherb vs mint. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, you have a lot of roses. I love that lemony yellow in the middle of the catmint. Everything looks flowery in the Garden of Good and Evil.

ConsciousGardener said...

Your roses are gorgeous! The summer of death had it's way with my lawn as well...

Annie in Austin said...

Oh Lori! You make me want a Republic of Texas and a catmint!

A morning stroll in your garden must be both visually exciting and delightfully fragrant.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Garden Wise Guy said...

The rose/catmint is a killer combo.
Good eye, catching that. Do they bloom simultaneously?

Is this the year to murder your lawn? Maybe go natural meadow. Check my blog for sheet mulching techniques to send your turf to it's final resting place.

Libby at Aurora Primavera said...

The roses are gorgeous. I hope mine get that way some day. BTW, the paint medium is gouache, sold at Jerry's Artarama. It's an opaque water-based paint.