Sunday, March 23, 2008

Springtime Is For Lovers

Auugh! Freaky bugs! They're having an orgy all over poor Archduke Charles!

Does anyone know what these insects are, and whether I should be worried that they're really intent on reproducing? They've been covering the rose bush for the last three days. They blend in well enough that I didn't notice at first, but as I was hunting for flowers to photograph, I saw the bush move.

*shudder*

Normally bugs don't really, well, bug me, but the weirdly-shaped limbs of these seem almost mechanical. Maybe I've watched a little too much Stargate: SG1 in my day, but it's like looking at a rosebush teeming with Replicators...

*twitch*

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Those look like assassin bugs, and they usually predate on the bad bugs. They're scary looking and are bad news on tomatoes when nymphs, but shouldn't be any problem on a rose!

Anonymous said...

Either assassin or stink bugs, it's kind of hard to tell. I don't think stink bugs hurt anything, and assassin bugs are useful predators.

Diana said...

I was going to say Stink bugs - ugh. They WILL devour your tomatoes, though, so keep them away from there. I finally gave up and let them have them in the unbearable long, hot, fall last year. And have them they did.

Lori said...

Nancy - Whew! I was worried that I'd have to wage a vendetta. Although I wonder whether I should do something anyway, since my next door neighbor's gardening passion is tomatoes. Hmm.

Pam - Thanks for the ID. They don't seem to be chewing on anything, and the freaky orgy has finally ended, so I think I can relax now.

Diana - That sucks. I hope you have better luck this year!